In a previous post, we linked to Prof. Ben Witherington’s top ten list for preachers.
How about a top ten list for small group Bible study leaders?
For your consideration …
10. Pray that the Spirit will give you a humble heart and a thoughtful mind as you prepare and lead.
9. Observe what is in the text by reading the text … carefully.
8. Thou shalt do a textual analysis of the passage.
7. Interpret the Biblical material in light of its context.
6. Read the Bible passage again.
5. Prepare questions for the group that need more than a “yes” or “no” answer.
4. Don’t jump to the application right away.
3. Use the tools of group dynamics to keep the group on track.
2. Did we say you should read the Bible passage again yet?
1. Stick to the text and pray that the Spirit speaks to the group through the text.